Saturday, April 7, 2012

Individuality

I'm heading off to tutor a field course tomorrow. I love these trips (not just that I'm getting a week on Fraser Island), I love seeing my students get excited about research. This is one of those uni courses where people find friends and find themselves. It may seem corny but it's true. Field courses are often where science students find their passion for a system or an organism which sets them on a career path that will excite them for many years. I hear from these students after the trip that it was the first time they felt part of a group. They also realise, often for the first time, that it's ok to be different. In fact, that's what science research is about. School may have been all about fitting in, but science, that's about standing out. Like a pineapple that doesn't limit itself to growing in only one direction...



See you when I get back from Fraser with the latest SkillCycle day plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment