Monday, March 26, 2012

Dealing with 'failure'



So, I cancelled the Food Swap Day. I just didn't get enough people signing on to make it a success. Initially I was upset...and confused. Then I got an email from Jessie (remember Jessie from the green cleaning post?). Jessie often makes me see things in a different light. And this was no exception. She proposed that maybe my invitees didn't feel confident enough that the items they could offer for swap would be worthy of swapping. I hadn't thought of this. I love cooking, and as is often the case with something you love, I put a lot of time and energy into learning and practising cooking...and I enjoy doing this. Of course I have failures, that can happen to anyone. But most of the time I just love making something and sharing it with someone else. I forget that other people don't feel this way. I'm pretty bad a sport, pretty much all sport. I once scored an own goal in netball (I don't even know what you call that? That's how bad I am at sport). I could practise and maybe I would improve, but it's not my passion...and because I'm no good I wouldn't consider joining even a social sporting team. I feel I would just embarrass myself. When I started seeing things in this light, I understood a little better. Sure, some of the invitees were busy, some may have had better offers, some may just have wanted a quiet weekend. But those of you who didn't feel that they could be proud of something they'd made - I get you. I hope, one day, that I can give this whole thing another go and that maybe you will come along. The same thing can be said for many other things in life. Don't avoid participation because you don't think you're good enough yet...you get good by participating. Jump in and learn something. That's what SkillCycle is all about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment