Saturday, April 14, 2012

Home Dairy

 . ricotta .

 . yoghurt .

. 'butter' .

I dream about the day I have a steady supply of fresh milk at my fingertips. I first learnt to milk a cow when I was on holiday in Chile. I have an aunty who is renowned for her fresh, white cheese. I remember her making it when I was a child and was still doing so
when I went back in 2007.  People come by the farm to pick it up, she makes and sells it daily.

Whether I ever will have my own cow, or a herd share, is yet to be revealed.  But I love the idea, even though it's quite a commitment. For the meantime I will live vicariously through books such as The Dirty Life and blogs such as Longest Acres.

I will also treasure the affordable supply of raw milk that I've been able to receive recently. This happy situation unfolded just at the time that the book Home Dairy arrived on my doorstep.
It has meant that we can master familiar recipes like Paneer and Yoghurt while experimenting with a whole bunch of other things, starting with Ricotta and 'butter' (more like whipped butter).
It is humbling to embark on such experiments and realise just how much time and milk goes in to making the final product. But you can't beat the satisfaction that accompanies this process either. Buttermilk pancakes with homemade butter, ricotta and local honey. Yes please!


 . breakfast time .

 . and I couldn't resist adding a photo of
 the eggs from our lovely ladies.



1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog.....oh we love raw milk too and all the delicious things you can make with it. Ricotta is a favorite. X

    ReplyDelete