Sunday, July 10, 2011

Leftovers far "outwhey" the cleanup


On Saturday I hosted the first SkillCycle day at my house. Sure there was a bit of cleaning to do in preparation and a bit of clean up after, but the leftovers I have in my fridge far “outwhey” these negatives!

Sunday morning I feasted on Lucy’s leftover bread (which we made), toasted with leftover marmalade (which we made). Then I gave Lucy’s plum jam and apple tart a new life by mixing it’s innards into some of the leftover yogurt (which we made), that was really yummy.

Being a newbie to the idea of leftover whey from the cheese (which we made), I do what I usually do and googled “whey recipes”. I’m a slave to a recipe, but I rarely have major kitchen disasters because someone has already done that in coming up with the recipe! One of the first I landed on was for whey biscuits, not aussie biscuits, but southern American biscuits, like a savoury scone, see photo. These were perfect as they required fair amount of whey (which we made) and a hot oven, and I was already cooking the leftover bread (which we made) in a hot oven. So while the bread was cooking, I mixed up the biscuits, and baked them in the oven with the bread. I used butter instead of shortening, and they could have used a milk (or whey!) wash before baking to aid in browning. But they were ready in no time and delicious with some of cheese (which we made) for morning tea.

While googling for whey recipes, someone talked about a while sauce they had done using whey. I rarely go without a recipe, but white sauce is one I’m pretty familiar with, thanks to being chief gravy maker for Sunday roasts. White sauce is pretty much gravy in disguise. Just melt a tablespoon or so of butter, add equal quantity of flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Add a cup or so of liquid: this can be water, milk, stock or whey, and stir until thick, you can also add cheese, onions, and other yummy bits to your sauce.

I remember from living in southern America that biscuits are usually served with sauce or gravy of some sort. So for dinner I served up some whey biscuits doused in white cheese sauce made off whey (I’m calling it “Wheyte” sauce), and leftover salad from Saturday’s lunch. Yummo!

So in hosting a SkillCycle day, it’s not just dirty dishes that get left behind!!

2 comments:

  1. Hehehe, glad I'm not the only one to enjoy a bad pun! There's 'no-knead' to be ashamed, it's 'whey' too much fun...Bad!

    ReplyDelete