Monday, July 11, 2011

Blood Orange Cordial


Food Connect has blood oranges in season at the moment and I couldn't resist buying a bag. It never ceases to please me when I cut one and see the 'blood' inside, so vibrant and beautiful. I hadn't really planned what to do with them but found a delicious sounding recipe for blood orange cordial and had to give it a try. It was really easy and the recipe lends itself to any fruit based cordial. I cut down the sugar in my version as I like my cordial with a little more zing, and the oranges were quite sweet naturally. I'm planning on using this cordial with soda water...and maybe vodka.

Blood Orange Cordial

makes about 750ml

2 cups blood orange juice
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then simmer slowly until reduced by one third. Allow to cool in the pan and then strain into a sterilised bottle. Keep in the fridge and mix with soda or still water to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment