Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lazy girl bread

As promised, my easy bread recipe. I call this my 'Lazy Girl Bread' because sometimes that's what I am. But I still want fresh, homemade bread. This is my compromise. The recipe has a followed a strange convoluted pathway to what I make now. Hannah found the original recipe on Mother Earth News and she tells me it came from a New York Times recipe before that. She gave it to me and I changed the technique and quantities over time to suit my kitchen and my oven. I think many bread recipes that originate in cooler climates need quite a bit of tweaking to work in a humid Brisbane kitchen. This one works very well for my schedule which is important if you're going to be realistic about making bread regularly. It's all very romantic to imagine kneading bread for hours and baking beautiful, gourmet breads each day but in reality, many of us have limited time and just want tasty food quickly. This bread serves this purpose and is good looking as well.

Lazy girl bread

Ingredients

4 cups flour (any mix of wholemeal, white, rye etc.)
2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
extra flour (for dusting)

Equipment

one large mixing bowl
large pot with lid (Pyrex glass, cast iron, or ceramic), if your pot is smaller reduce to 3 cups flour to 1.5 cups water and reduce the yeast an salt a little.
wooden spoon (optional)
plastic wrap (or reuse a plastic bag)

one cotton/linen tea towel (not fluffy) ricotta basket(you get these free when you buy large amounts of ricotta but a colander or basket would work too)

Process

Mix flour and salt in bowl. Mix yeast into water until dissolved. Add water to flour and mix by hand or with a wooden spoon for 30-60secs. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap/bag and let the dough rest 12hrs at room temperature. You can mix dough in morning for a night bake or at night to rest overnight for a morning bake.

Sprinkle a little flour on your bench top. Remove the dough from the bowl using a spoon and tip it onto the floured surface. Fold the sides up into the centre and then flip the dough, tucking it under. Let the dough rest 15 minutes on the bench top. Line your basket with a tea towel and then generously coat tea towel with flour. Place the dough seam side down on the towel and dust with flour. Cover the dough with tea towel and let rise 1-2 hours, until more than doubled in size. Preheat oven to 240-250°C. Place the pot in the oven at least 30 minutes prior to baking. Once the dough has more than doubled, remove the pot from the oven and tip the dough into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake 30mins or until showing some colour. Then remove the lid and bake 15-30mins uncovered, until the loaf is nicely browned. You’ll notice a change in the ‘smell’ of the loaf, from warm bread to slightly 'toasty', that’s a good indicator of the loaf being done. Otherwise, tapping on the loaf and listening for a hollow sound is another good technique. You want to cool the loaf out of the pot on a rack. It is important to wait until the loaf is cool before you cut it. Try to resist. Try hard.

3 comments:

  1. I have your ricotta basket! I completely botched up my bread the other day...It was rising nicely until I plonked it down on the bench unceremoniously and it responded to my mistreatment by deflating. Then I forgot that I had left it sitting in the oven for 2nd rise and TURNED THE OVEN ON...the bag melted, but not onto the bread, and the bowl was fine. So I still cooked it. Edible but not delectable. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! At least that proves that it is one of the more forgiving breads to work with. Doughy torture chamber and yet still edible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Hannah's guidance, I made this into three baguette sticks the other day. Reduce the water by 1/4 cup, cut dough into three after the short 15min rest and shape into sticks. Rest for the two hours and slash the tops of the dough before they go in the oven with a very sharp knife. Instead of the lidded pyrex, heat up a pizza stone (or cheaper stone tile from hardware store), place dough on heated stone and pour a cup of water in a heated lamington tray in the bottom of the oven to create a bit of steam and quickly close the oven.

    The dough didn't rise as much but still turned into perfect bread sticks in the oven and made really good garlic bread.

    ReplyDelete