Sunday, January 1, 2012

Gifting

A friend, Amy, posted a link to a really interesting article about the economy of gifts recently. After reading I started thinking about ways to make this sort of idea work. I spoke with Mel about this and she mentioned she'd been thinking about the idea of community sufficiency as opposed to self-sufficiency for awhile. It makes a lot of sense to me. We'd like to have something organised (as described in the article) but I also started thinking about ways in which I'm already involved in gifting. 


Mel and I don't seem to ever visit each other without something in hand - a jar of jam, something home grown or a piece of clothing, even something we saw while op-shopping which made us think of the other. It's a natural thing and it makes me happy. Seeing someone else get joy out of something you made, or wear a beautiful dress you no longer fit in to can be really uplifting. 


I also use freecycle quite a bit. I recently posted some items and when a lovely girl called Em came to collect a couch and laundry basket for her new home, I thought she looked a little familiar. Turned out she knows Mel and a half dozen of my friends! She brought a home grown rockmelon and an eggplant, and some of her hen's eggs. It reminded me of the days when you'd never think of visiting a friend empty handed.

These simple, small acts are the easy way to start the circle of giving. I'm a big believer in starting small. Next time you visit someone, take them a flower from your garden or a few slices of banana bread you cooked. It'll make you both smile.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Hilary told me about your blog, have really enjoyed reading it. Am jealous of your bountiful tomato crop in December, ours are still green in Jan in cold Orange! Thanks for the great ideas - I gave some home grown beans to a friend yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it Shara! I'm just excited that people are reading. It's a strange feeling putting something out into the world not knowing what will come back.

    I'm jealous of your temperate climate and good consistent rainfall! You can grow more of the traditional veg that just wilt in my garden. And I'd imagine more berries too! Sometimes it feels like it's either hot or dry or flooding here...and nothing in between!

    ReplyDelete