Monday, December 19, 2011

Feeling 'trapped'

Maybe it's just the time of year, and the lack of holidays, but I'm feeling a little stuck. Like I'm in a rut. Most of the time I can gaze at pretty photos of idyllic farm life on my favourite blogs, those who have 'escaped' to the country and are living my dream, and feel inspired. At the moment, all I can feel is jealousy and apathy. My overdue PhD is still going, I haven't many job prospects for next year and I feel like I'm treading water. 

The view from my office window
What do you do when you get this way? Take a holiday, do yoga, garden? How do we keep ourselves inspired and hopeful while still living consciously in the present? 

3 comments:

  1. Take a holiday! I sleep for a while (be lazy for days if possible!) then garden, make things for the house and friends... I think taking time off is more important than we realise. Esp from long term tasks like PhD! oh PhDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great questions, and feelings that I imagine are shared with many of us in this uncertain time of PhD finishings.
    I had a similar window and couldn't handle it, so I planted a shade fern in the first pot-like object I could find, and felt better about having a leafy (frondy?) view to balance the brickwork.
    You have been a major part of things that have helped me most in coping with these times - starting Skill cycle and getting together with lovely people to do interesting and creative things. I really agree with Anna's comment about holidays and time off. It can be really hard to convince our churning minds to go into a completely different space and to be gentle, but I think it's the only way to recharge after burning out, to become more conscious in the present, and to become inspirable again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna and Jessie, your comments really helped. Being gentle with yourself is so important, I definitely needed reminding of that. And just knowing others 'get it', have been through it and survived.

    ReplyDelete