Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Introducing Ruby

I live in a rental house in the suburbs. While our landlord is quite forgiving, he draws the line at chickens. I really wanted my own chickens. This situation lead me to a discussion with Mel where she generously offered to be a foster mother to any chicken I may adopt. Long story short, we built a beautiful hen house with the help of Mel's step dad super carpenter extraordinaire (thanks G!) and adopted five lovely girls. Meet my baby. Ruby.




She's a young Plymouth Rock. Isn't she beautiful?


The point of this post is that sometimes you can wait a very long time for your situation to be 'right'. And sometimes you just do the best with what you have. I dream of a time when I have some land for chickens, goats and fruit trees. But while I work towards that dream, I plant avocado seeds in pots and have a foster chicken. Make it work for you.

5 comments:

  1. And she's growing up! She's been laying eggs along with the rest of them this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! hubby is just finishing off our chook pen so hopefully in a few weeks i will be introducing our little chickens! love that you aren't letting your situation stop you from living the kind of life you want... i have been doing that for too long!

    Kel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kel! It's sometimes easier said than done. It took me years to get Ruby. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and stop letting excuses stop you. Good luck with getting your girls!

    Love your blog by the way,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I do love that photo of Ruby. She lays these cute little eggs with speckles on the end. I'm home from a couple of days away and realise how much I love having the chickies around. I also can't wait for more land with productive trees and more animals. For now we do what we can on a rental block in the city!

    ReplyDelete